This Redwood Empire Pipe Dream Bourbon hales from Sonoma Country, California, and is apparently named in honor of an actual redwood tree named “Pipedream”.
According to FamousRedWoods.com its the 14th tallest tree in the world.
I guess this bourbon has a big repetition to live up to.
Which probably explains the big bold flavors that this Pipe Dream bourbon brings to the table. From the first scent, to the first sip, this is a strong, flavorful bourbon.
The nose is mildly sweet, full of toasted wood and char. Don’t let the nose fool you, the moment you take the first sip this bourbon fills your mouth with a swirling, complex flavor profile. It is wood char with a little sweetness under it, which finishes on a strong nuttiness that quickly turns to black pepper.
This is not a bourbon for the weak hearted.
Scoring – Redwood Empire Pipe Dream Bourbon
I did enjoy sipping this Redwood Empire Pipe Dream and can see myself wanting more in the future. It’s not a dram I’d drink as a casual sipper, but on those occasions I want something full flavored and strong, this will absolutely be a go to, which is the reason this scored an 81/100.
- Wonderfully complex bourbon.
- Mildly sweet opening that instantly becomes woody char and black pepper.
- Deep and flavorful.
- May be too much for new bourbon drinkers.
- Flavors may be too much for some.
- The bottle is really tall. No, seriously, it doesn’t fit onto the shelf with my other bottles. I had to put it on a different shelf because its so tall.